[systemd-devel] slow systemd-networkd DHCP client on wlan0 with systemd v217

Charles Devereaux systemd at guylhem.net
Tue Feb 3 11:38:40 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
wrote:

> I am pretty sure signals are not a particularly good interface for
> this. We should add a proper bus API for this one day, but this kinda
> has to wait until kdbus is a done deal, since networkd runs in early
> boot, and dbus-daemon is not available in early boot.

Which would be a good usecase for signals (until kdbus happens, which might
take some time)

In an ideal world, kdbus will be the perfect solution, but at the moment,
the few signals mentioned would immediately solve some serious limitations
of systemd-networkd.

Also, in the future, having 2 ways to do the same thing might be a good
thing, especially for something as important as networking (ex: in case
some distribution do not want to use kdbus, or waits a while to implement
it, and in the meantime has to use weird hack. signals could lessen the
pain)