[systemd-devel] Handling of mount points that are stacked one on top of another on the exact same mount point

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 11 03:51:45 PST 2015

On Fri, 06.02.15 10:26, John Lane (systemd at jelmail.com) wrote:

> Two years ago I raised a query about bind mounting a subdirectory on top
> of its parent mount point. I supplied a patch to allow this; it was
> discussed but wasn't accepted.
>
> At that time, there was talk about implementing a "BindSubdir" option to
> systemd.mount but I don't think anything ever came of it.
>
> There was a already TODO item since November 2011 "properly handle
> .mount unit state tracking when two mount points are stacked one on top
> of another on the exact same mount point." that got deleted on Fri Dec
> 12 2014 (308b57107606818431d3bff83e346eeab2f21e6a).

This was about a different thing: handling stacked mount points
correctly when stopping a .mount unit. i.e. if you use /bin/mount to
mount 10 mount points on on top of each other, and then ask systemd to
stop the one .mount unit it creates for it, it will unmount all 10,
until there's nothing mounted on the mount point anymore...

> (Original thread:
> http://systemd-devel.freedesktop.narkive.com/a14EcBcB/systemd-fstab-generator-and-multiple-mounts-to-same-mount-point)
>
> Is there a way to do this now?

Sorry, but this has not been implemented so far. Patches always welcome.