[systemd-devel] Failed units and "Unit type .busname is not supported on this system"

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Feb 11 03:56:09 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 06.02.15 17:12, John Lane (systemd at jelmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Good afternoon. I have some errors in the boot sequence of a newly built
>> system:
>>
>> I see:
>>
>>     systemd[1]: Unit type .busname is not supported on this system.
>
> This may be ignored.
>
> .busname units are only supported on kdbus systems.
>

>> then later on:
>>
>>     systemd-networkd[278]: Assertion 'bus' failed at
>> src/libsystemd/sd-bus/bus-util.c:105, function
>> bus_event_loop_with_idle(). Aborting.
>>     systemd[1]: Unit systemd-networkd.service entered failed state
>>     systemd-networkd.service failed.
>
> This looks like something to fix by Tom. Tom, can you please have a
> look at this?

Oh, indeed. We cannot have the nice exit-on-idle logic if we failed to
get a bus connection at the first try. I now added a fallback that
will do a plain, old event-loop in that case. This does not lose us
much though, as in almost all cases we will succeed to connect to dbus
at the first attempt (we are ordered after dbus.service).

Thanks for spotting that!

Cheers,

Tom