[systemd-devel] Failed units and "Unit type .busname is not supported on this system"

John Lane systemd at jelmail.com
Thu Feb 12 01:23:27 PST 2015

On 06/02/15 17:12, John Lane wrote:
> Good afternoon. I have some errors in the boot sequence of a newly built
> system:
>
> I see:
>
>     systemd[1]: Unit type .busname is not supported on this system.
>
> then later on:
>
>     systemd-networkd[278]: Assertion 'bus' failed at
> src/libsystemd/sd-bus/bus-util.c:105, function
> bus_event_loop_with_idle(). Aborting.
>     systemd[1]: Unit systemd-networkd.service entered failed state
>     systemd-networkd.service failed.
>
> and
>
>     systemd-logind[565]: Failed to connect to system bus: No such file
> or directory
>     systemd-logind[565]: Failed to fully start up daemon: No such file
> or directory
>     Failed to start Login Service.
>
> My "systemctl status" shows a "degraded" status with 3 failed units being
>
>       UNIT                     LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
> ● systemd-logind.service   loaded failed failed Login Service
> ● systemd-networkd.service loaded failed failed Network Service
> ● systemd-networkd.socket  loaded failed failed networkd rtnetlink socket
>
> However, it gets to the login prompt, I can log in and everything works
> (as far as I can tell).
>
> I assume that the failed units are a result of the "busname is not
> supported on this system" but I have no clue about what that means and
> what to do about it. Searches have turned up nothing.
>
> System details:
> Linux tsodium 3.18.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 30 07:17:14 CET 2015
> i686 GNU/Linux
> systemd 218
> +PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA -APPARMOR -SMACK -SYSVINIT +UTMP
> +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT -GNUTLS +ACL +XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS
> +KMOD +IDN
> built today from "systemd-git 218.944.g30ae637-1"
>
> I am using a git checkout because I am using functionality that isn't in
> 218.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> John

Just an update on the above. "unit type .busname is not supported on
this system" isn't the cause of the problem that I was seeing (I still
don't know why this appears or if it is significant in other ways but it
would appear not to be so). The failed units were a consequence of me
using the ArchLinux "systemd-git" AUR package as part of a new system
build. It's dependency list had omitted "dbus" and this caused the above
breakages to occur do to the sysem not having dbus. Installing dbus
fixed it. Problem solved.

Unit type .busname is not supported on this system