[systemd-devel] sysv-generator: doesn't handle /etc/insserv/overrides or /etc/chkconfig.d

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 03:00:16 PST 2015

On 02/15/2015 04:21 PM, Christian Seiler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that sysv-generator doesn't handle
> /etc/insserv/overrides (e.g. older SuSE, Debian) or /etc/chkconfig.d
> (e.g. RHEL <= 6, Centos, old Fedora), it just ignores it, thus not
> retaining administrator overrides to init script headers. Now
> obviously, one can create a native unit file that overrides the sysv
> service, but that is not always so nice.
>
> In the simplest case, the init script is trivial and you just create a
> simple native service and are better off anyway. But most of the time,
> init scripts where you want to override headers are provided by third
> parties, and do a lot of involved things, and as an administrator you
> don't want to port the old init script yourself, you just want to call
> the original one and be done with it. (And even worse, some
> third-party init scripts don't even come with LSB headers, even in
> 2015.)

That's a matter of perception we prefer migrating the legacy sysv
initscript on these parts to take advantage of administrator features
systemd provides.

On top of that this is the first time I have ever heard of this ( as in
you could overwrite lsb headers with configuration snippets in
/etc/chkconfig.d ) and dont recall coming across it in documentation
while handling the migration from legacy sysv init scripts to native
systemd units in Fedora nor has anyone anywhere filed a bug about this
missing for the past 5 years in the downstream bug trackers where I
monitor bugs filed against systemd.

That said adding this support to systemd does not seems justified enough
since a) at one point in time the backward compatibility will be dropped
altogether b) nobody seems to be using this feature of chkconfig
otherwise bugs would have been filed and we would have heard about it by
now.

JBG