[systemd-devel] sysv-generator: doesn't handle /etc/insserv/overrides or /etc/chkconfig.d

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 10:12:35 PST 2015

> If you have a strong desire for such a feature, and I presume in
> current stable distributions, rather than future stables. It is best
> to factor it out into a stand-alone, portable across older systemd
> releases, generator, and ship it as stand-alone utility / project that
> people can install as an addon to regain compat for that
> functionality.

I don't think this is really feasible atm. See my earlier comment.
Atm, you can't override orderings/dependencies via drop-ins.

So such a generator would have to recreate the unit files altogether,
replicating what the sysv-generator does.

I agree with Lennart, that adding support to systemd to allow such
overrides via drop-ins/unwants/ or whatever they are called, is
certainly the nicer solution.

That said, as one of the Debian systemd maintainers, I could probably
be convinced to add the insserv override support as a downstream patch
for jessie. We are pretty late into the freeze though, so this would
require an ack from our release managers.

Going forward, I'd like to drop support for insserv compat in jessie+1
as soon as possible. That includes the insserv-generator, which parses
/etc/insserv.conf(.d)

universe are pointed away from Earth?