[systemd-devel] systemd-fsck question

Nikolai Zhubr n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru
Tue Jan 6 15:34:59 PST 2015

Hi,
07.01.2015 0:59, me wrote:
[...]
> Could someone please explain, what "StandardOutput=journal+console" is
> supposed to do? Actully, it is not documented, just briefly mentioned in
> documentation. Intuitively it would seem exactly what I want, and it is
> even the default setting. Looking at the source, it's not completely
> obvious to me though. Anyway, forwarding of standard output from
> system-fsck to console does not seem to work. Maybe I'm doing something
> very silly, or maybe there is some suse-specific breakage?

Some update. I've learned that in case of "StandardOutput=journal+console"
everything is still piped to journald rightaway, so systemd does not
mirror to console by itself. From looking into the code, journald simply
mirrors messages to console if instructed to do so, by either "+console"
per service, or ForwardToConsole=yes globally.
So I've also added (to my /etc/systemd/journald.conf):

ForwardToConsole=yes
TTYPath=/dev/console
MaxLevelConsole=debug

Still no effect... Well, I do see some more messages, but still nothing
from systemd-fsck! I'm really puzzled...
(And yes, I do remember to re-run mkinitrd every time I change
journald.conf and friends)

Thank you,
Nikolai