[systemd-devel] kdbus, udev and systemd in the initramfs

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Jul 28 20:40:46 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 1:21 AM, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:
> something I was wondering regarding kdbus and udev.
> If udev wants to drop the netlink transport and instead rely on kdbus,
> would this mean, systemd becomes mandatory in the initramfs to setup
> kdbus before udev is run?

_If_ udev drops netlink entirely, then yes someone would need to set
up kdbus. How this will all look has not been finally decided yet
though.

> Will it still be possible in the future to run udev  without systemd
> in the initramfs?

Maybe, but I, for one, don't see this as a long-term goal. Having the
same software in the initrd as on the real system seems much more
reasonable to me.

Cheers,

Tom