[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 16:12:40 PDT 2015

> On Tue, 09.06.15 21:11, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> We need to do proper QA to properly support and backup our downstream
>> consumers ( distributions, embedded and otherwise)  and that means tagging
>> bugs by distributions, vendors, releases.
> I'd be very careful with starting to track downstream issues
> upstream. I explicitly want to avoid that. It's a good thing that the
> bug kingdoms there are seperate, and that we aren't flooded with all
> kinds of downstream bugs all the time upstream. The "pre-filtering"
> done by downstream is absolutely important to keep things managable
> for us upstream.
>
> If anything I would be more strict here, and systematically refuse bug
> reports upstream for any package version older than the newest two,
> unless escalated by the downstream maintainers.

Agreed

In the long run I was thinking about a built in reporting tool that
would report only the information we need, directly to our issue tracker
( anonymously without the need for an login account, what I dubbed
"drive by reporting" ) and label bugs based on information from
os-release that would be sent with that report and minimize any
communication from upstream to downstream bug trackers since it wastes
time ( #1228909 on bz.rh.com is prime example of unwanted, unneeded
distraction from downstream, what I call contributors time waster which
is why I stepped in and try to close that report to no prevail. ).

I expected downstream package maintainers to have their own account and
be part of this community and participating with us ( as is to be
expected of downstream maintainers ) anyway first we need the
infrastructure for that in place so I was keeping that information to
myself ( as I'm doing with few other ideas ) until we have had sorted
that out.

JBG