[systemd-devel] no tar balls at release time

Michael Olbrich m.olbrich at pengutronix.de
Tue Jun 23 03:18:58 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:21:18PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 7:30 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 23.06.15 01:21, Kay Sievers (kay at vrfy.org) wrote:
> >
> >> We currently considering to stop creating release tar balls.
> >>
> >> For build systems which still require them, they can be created
> >> locally from the upstream git repository with:
> >>   git archive --format=tar --prefix=systemd-$(VERSION)/ $(VERSION) | \
> >>     xz > systemd-$(VERSION).tar.xz
> >>
> >> These tar balls will not include the "500k of shell scripts" added by
> >> autotools. These files need to be added to the extracted tarball by
> >> running ./autogen.sh.
> >>
> >> These tar balls will also not include any generated content like
> >> fonts, man, html pages. This is intentional.
> >
> > Which of course means the build tools for all of these need to be
> > around on the build machines, as *everything* will be rebuilt from
> > scratch now. Specifically you need
> > autoconf/automake/python/perl/m4/xsltproc/... on every build machine.
> >
> > Hence the question to ask is: is anyone downstream relying on the
> > pre-built stuff, and has a very good reason why he couldn't just
> > install the build tools on his build machine and build things with
> > that?
>
> On Gentoo, most users build from source, so this means additional
> dependencies on most users' systems. We would appreciate having the
> autotools-generated tarballs, but we can certainly live without them.
>
> FYI, having to run autoreconf introduces the following dependencies for us:
>
>         app-text/docbook-xml-dtd:4.2
>         app-text/docbook-xml-dtd:4.5
>         app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets
>         dev-libs/libxslt:0
>         >=dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.4.5:0"

I don't mind the autotools requirements. But building libgcrypt just for
autogen is really annoying when cross-compiling for systems where libgcrypt
isn't installed at all.

So, if you do this, please add all necessary m4 files to the tarballs or
make it optional, the way gtk-doc was handled.

Regards,
Michael