[systemd-devel] no tar balls at release time

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Mon Jun 22 19:02:01 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 01:21:36AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> We currently considering to stop creating release tar balls.

What's the motivation for this change? I suspect that with this, 'make
distcheck' will never again be run and it will eventually break
build configurations which don't align with what the CI tests.

> For build systems which still require them, they can be created
> locally from the upstream git repository with:
>   git archive --format=tar --prefix=systemd-$(VERSION)/ $(VERSION) | \
>     xz > systemd-$(VERSION).tar.xz
>
> These tar balls will not include the "500k of shell scripts" added by
> autotools. These files need to be added to the extracted tarball by
> running ./autogen.sh.
>
> These tar balls will also not include any generated content like
> fonts, man, html pages. This is intentional.
>
> Please test these setups locally if that model will work in your
> setups, and what would possibly need to be fixed in the git tree to
> make that easier for you.

Arch switched over to the git repo directly when it was discovered that
the v220 tarball wasn't useful. We didn't bother going back to the
tarballs with v221, either. Seems fine.

dR