[systemd-devel] no tar balls at release time

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue Jun 23 04:19:54 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 4:02 AM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 01:21:36AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> We currently considering to stop creating release tar balls.
>
> What's the motivation for this change?

We focus on git, and git only. We do not want to sign tar balls to
distribute, but rely on signed git tags only.

Pre-building stuff to put into tar balls creates too many
restrictions. It is just plain wrong to pre-build and ship things like
man pages, which depend on common configure options.

> I suspect that with this, 'make
> distcheck' will never again be run and it will eventually break
> build configurations which don't align with what the CI tests.

We synced the "make dist" and "git archive" tar balls as much as
possible now. Even the autotools created one will not contain any
pre-built stuff anymore besides the autofoo itself.

We might continue to run distcheck in the CI, but we don't know
anything for sure at that point in time, only that tar balls are not
part of the release anymore.

Kay