[systemd-devel] Delaying device service creation

Francis Moreau francis.moro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 23:49:04 PDT 2015

On 06/30/2015 07:47 PM, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:

> - Configure it as part of ExecStart if possible.

I don't see how is this going to help, sorry.

> - Configure it using a second .service unit (oneshot), and depend on
> that one.

You meant all services that were depending on the device should depend
on that second .service ?

I so, I would rather avoid that: it seems much cleaner to me to have the
device service started once the configuration has been done, ie when the
device really ready.

Actually my question is rather : does adding dependencies on device
services is supported, so I can make it 'appear' only when the service
which creates and configures it is completely finished ?

> - Do something with udev to mark unconfigured devices with
> SYSTEMD_READY=0? Not sure how. But if you can do this, it'll directly
> affect the "readiness" of the corresponding .device unit.

I have to see how to do that and how to set SYSTEMD_READY=1 once configured.

Thanks