[systemd-devel] Proposal: Add biosdevname naming scheme to systemd

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Mar 2 07:58:41 PST 2015

On Mon, 02.03.15 09:45, Jordan Hargrave (jharg93 at gmail.com) wrote:

> There are currently two competing naming mechanisms for network cards,
> biosdevname and systemd.  Systemd currently has some limitations on naming
> cards that use network partitioning or support SR-IOV.  Proposal is to add
> support for biosdevname-like names as part of systemd.  The names would be
> created as a new environment variable ID_NET_NAME_BIOSDEVNAME.  This could
> then be used in the udev rules scripts to replace the external biosdevname
> handler.

No.

We didn't adopt the biosdevname names in udev since they didn't actually
deliver what they claimed to deliver, and resorted to naming things
after probing order in the end.

Use biosdevname if you want biosdevname names, it still works.

Sorry, but this has no place in systemd/udev. We didn't adopt the
names for a reason.

> At least on Dell systems, systemd generates unusable names (PCI B:D:F vs
> Slot#) for add-in cards as our PCIe slots do not have the ACPI _SUN method,
> but they do have a SMBIOS slot number.

"unusable"? Can you elaborate what you mean by that?