[systemd-devel] Proposal: Add biosdevname naming scheme to systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Mar 2 11:17:25 PST 2015

Hi Jordan,

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Jordan Hargrave <jharg93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are currently two competing naming mechanisms for network cards,
> biosdevname and systemd.  Systemd currently has some limitations on naming
> cards that use network partitioning or support SR-IOV.

Could you point to an example so we can fix it? I thought all bug
reports had been handled, but maybe I lost track of something.

> Proposal is to add
> support for biosdevname-like names as part of systemd.  The names would be
> created as a new environment variable ID_NET_NAME_BIOSDEVNAME.  This could
> then be used in the udev rules scripts to replace the external biosdevname
> handler.

I don't think this makes much sense. If biosdevname had been
acceptable, the udev naming scheme would not have been introduced in
the first place.

> At least on Dell systems, systemd generates unusable names (PCI B:D:F vs
> Slot#) for add-in cards as our PCIe slots do not have the ACPI _SUN method,
> but they do have a SMBIOS slot number.

Wouldn't the better approach be to simply add SMBIOS support to udev
then? I must admit I don't know what challenges that entails, but
seems like a natural first step.

Cheers,

Tom