[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] Makefile.am src/shared src/timedate

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Thu Mar 26 05:06:49 PDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 26.03.15 11:57, Kay Sievers (kay at vrfy.org) wrote:
>
>> > Now, to make calendar time triggers complete I think we must enable
>> > people to at least trigger on threse three kinds of anomalies in the
>> > time scale. As such I think it would make a *ton* of sense to add:
>> >
>> >      OnTimeZoneChange=
>> >      OnClockChange=
>>
>> These are useful, sure.
>>
>> >      OnDSTChange=
>>
>> This is absolutely not needed and we should not get into that
>> business.
>
> That's just a statement of an opinion. I see no explanation for this.

I see only repeated made-up arguments to add an exotic feature, which
I don't see adding any real value.

DST for the machine is "presentation only". Tools handling it turn the
"presentation" into the actual machine's time and be done with it.
Glibc does that for us today already and it already works sufficiently
for systemd's calendar time support.

If the system's time zone changes, or the time is adjusted manually,
we just re-arm all timers, and all should be fine.

I see no need or use to support explicit triggers on the event of DST
changes, the system or calendar time support just does not need them.

>> There is no need to fiddle with the raw tzfile data here.
>
> Well, it's good that things are so simple for you.

I'm not willing to discuss things in that tone.

Kay