[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] Makefile.am src/shared src/timedate

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Sat Mar 28 14:21:13 PDT 2015

Hi,

Kay Sievers:
> If the system's time zone changes, or the time is adjusted manually,
> we just re-arm all timers, and all should be fine.
>
> I see no need or use to support explicit triggers on the event of DST
> changes, the system or calendar time support just does not need them.

So, in four hours (as I write this) there will be no 02:* hour for my 02:30
logfile cleanup job to run in. Does my system run it anyway? How do I
change that? (I can see use cases for both options.)

Same thing in the fall.

An explicit trigger can do any number of things to help me prevent problems.
What's even more important IMHO is the presence of a nice "#OnDSTChange="
remark in the spec template, because it teaches admins to actually *think*
about what will happen when DST changes, instead of simply ignoring the
problem and hoping that nothing 'interesting' will happen.

DST changes more often than physically moving a machine to another
timezone, for the vast majority of computers out there. Thus, frankly, it
seems strange to advocate for support of the latter but not the former use
case.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs