[systemd-devel] pam_systemd.so indirectly calling pam_acct_mgmt

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Fri May 1 02:46:05 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 09:46:26AM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Stephen Gallagher wrote on 30/04/15 14:04:
> > On Thu, 2015-04-30 at 15:01 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> >> Yes it does. When a systemd is booted up with a user that has
> >> lingering on this means that his user at .service instance is invoked at
> >> boot, without waiting for any login.
> >>

> > One last question, Lennart: what is the primary use-case for the
> > linger feature? When is it expected that users would want to use it?
>
> There are lots of potential uses.
>
> e.g. a user may want to run their irssi IRC client at all times
> (connecting into it via screen or via proxy etc).

  I'm using it primarly for two things:
1) having user services (like dropbox) run even when I'm not logged in
2) do some periodic tasks as user; systemd timers are more flexible than
   cron

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  -- Alia