[systemd-devel] pam_systemd.so indirectly calling pam_acct_mgmt

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri May 1 05:29:41 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-05-01 at 11:46 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 09:46:26AM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > Stephen Gallagher wrote on 30/04/15 14:04:

> > > One last question, Lennart: what is the primary use-case for the
> > > linger feature? When is it expected that users would want to use
> > > it?
> >
> > There are lots of potential uses.
> >
> > e.g. a user may want to run their irssi IRC client at all times
> > (connecting into it via screen or via proxy etc).
>
>   I'm using it primarly for two things:
> 1) having user services (like dropbox) run even when I'm not logged
> in
> 2) do some periodic tasks as user; systemd timers are more flexible
> than
>    cron

Right, so based on this information, it seems to me that in SSSD we
need to be treating the 'systemd-user' PAM service the same way we do
the 'cron' service. The idea being that this is meant to handle
actions performed *as* a user but not *by* a user (for lack of a
better distinction).

In the terms of how Microsoft Active Directory would treat it (and
when we're using AD as the identity and authorization store), it
should be handled as the [Allow|Deny]BatchLogonRight permission which
is described by MS as:

"This security setting allows a user to be logged on by means of a
batch-queue facility.

For example, when a user submits a job by means of the task scheduler,
the task scheduler logs that user on as a batch user rather than as an
interactive user."

Does that seem to match everyone's expectation here?