[systemd-devel] Sending a SIGABRT to PID1

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Sun May 3 09:10:17 PDT 2015

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Víctor Fernández <vfrico at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, Thanks for your reply.
>
> But, just out of curiosity, why init process gets down with a SIGABRT and
> not with a SIGKILL (9), being this a signal which cannot be caught, blocked
> or ignored?

pid 1 is allowed to catch SIGKILL, and usually does so, so that you can
sigkill everything (e.g. Alt+SysRq+I) and still have a working system
afterwards.

Meanwhile, things like SIGABRT or SIGSEGV or SIGILL actually mean that
something *abnormal* happened – if a program receives them, it's *supposed
to* crash. So systemd catches these signals but enters "crash mode"
immediately.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>