[systemd-devel] Add User to group "video"

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu May 7 02:44:12 PDT 2015

On 07/05/15 10:30, Martin Vogt wrote:
> I try to give any user rw permissions on /dev/nvidia*.
>
> Usually this is done by adding the user to group "video", but
> here the group is configured on NIS and I cannot change it.

On a modern Linux system you should instead be able to tag those devices
as user-accessible, as is done for the analogous nodes in the
open-source video drivers in /lib/udev/rules.d/70-uaccess.rules:

SUBSYSTEM=="drm", KERNEL=="card*|renderD*", TAG+="uaccess"

which results in the logged-in users (according to systemd-logind)
getting device access via ACLs:

% getfacl /dev/dri/card0
# file: dev/dri/card0
# owner: root
# group: video
user::rw-
user:smcv:rw-                   #  <-- this
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

See e.g.