[systemd-devel] pre-release warnings?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Tue May 26 10:53:52 PDT 2015

26.05.2015 21:52, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Lennart Poettering [2015-05-26 18:36 +0200]:
>> That said, I think even better would be to maybe make the support for
>> this generic in systemctl: instead of explicitly invoking chkconfig or
>> update-rcd, maybe we can just make systemctl invoke some fixed binary
>> /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-compat or so with a fixed set of
>> parameters. The distros could then make that a tool (maybe just a
>> shell script) that invokes chkconfig or update-rc.d This would then
>> allow us to remove any chkconfig-specific code from systemd, and would
>> allow all distros to plug-in the tool of their choice without having
>> to patch upstream. What do you think?
>
> That sounds great. If chkconfig and update-r.cd are/were the only two
> contenders then #ifdef sounds easier, but I don't know about other
> distros like e. g. Gentoo.

With my Gentoo user hat on: Gentoo needs no support here. Their
initscripts are based on OpenRC, which is not SysV-compatible enough for
the "fall back to the initscript" logic to make sense at all (e.g.,
their initscripts have #!/sbin/runscript in the beginning, have no LSB
header, and produce an error message if run in the system booted by
systemd). In fact, they explicitly disable SysV compatibility in systemd:

		# disable sysv compatibility
		--with-sysvinit-path=
		--with-sysvrcnd-path=

--