[systemd-devel] abstracting chkconfig vs. update-rc.d [was: non-merged /usr changes]

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed May 27 04:00:03 PDT 2015

Lennart Poettering [2015-05-26 18:36 +0200]:
> That said, I think even better would be to maybe make the support for
> this generic in systemctl: instead of explicitly invoking chkconfig or
> update-rcd, maybe we can just make systemctl invoke some fixed binary
> /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-compat or so with a fixed set of
> parameters. The distros could then make that a tool (maybe just a
> shell script) that invokes chkconfig or update-rc.d This would then
> allow us to remove any chkconfig-specific code from systemd, and would
> allow all distros to plug-in the tool of their choice without having
> to patch upstream. What do you think?

I just stumbled over

  http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/LSB_4.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/initsrcinstrm.html

which specifies pretty much what we talked about above:

  /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd /etc/init.d/example.com-coffeed
  /usr/lib/lsb/remove_initd /etc/init.d/example.com-coffeed

So we could make systemctl just call this if it's available, and
otherwise do nothing for init.d scripts.

I'll cook a patch for this.

Martin