[systemd-devel] 220 tarball erroneously ships keyboard-keys-from-name.gperf

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 27 03:56:11 PDT 2015

On Wed, 27.05.15 12:37, Martin Pitt (martin.pitt at ubuntu.com) wrote:

> Hey Lennart,
>
> Lennart Poettering [2015-05-27 12:26 +0200]:
> > >  * Regularly test "make dist", as nobody does that  during regular
> > >    development.
> >
> > Well, no.
>
> You just said before that we (distros) need to check tarball
> generation/build more often. So I'm a bit confused by the "no" (but
> see below).

The "no" was mostly about the part "nobody does that during regular
development". I actually do.

> > I use "make distcheck" regularly during regular development, and
> > that's how I generate the final tarball.
>
> True, the auto-generated header bug wouldn't have helped if I were to
> do it on e. g. Debian sid and then build packages from that very
> tarball, as it stemmed from being autogenerated from different kernel
> includes etc.
>
> So in that case the only thing that would have discovered this was
> distros testing a tarball that you generated. So, back to "RC
> tarball, plz test" a few days before you want to release?

Well, the other option is to simply accept that some bugs are not
easily testable for...

I mean, we can of course build tar balls on all distros and then build
them on all others, but this explodes the test matrix for only limited
benefit...

> > How about this: please run automated tests if you have them in regular
> > intervals, always tracking git. And a few days before a release I'll
> > notify the mailing list.
>
> Sounds good. I actually did this twice (not sure if you saw my IRC
> pings about that) I just didn't do it at the "right time". I think
> this would have helped to find most issues indeed (except for the
> keys-from-name.gperf thing, but meh -- happens seldomly enough), so
> let's try this for 221!

Any chance to automate that in a cron-job on some server?

Ideally we'd really have a Jenkins instance for that, like David
Strauss' one, but testing the .deb packages Ubuntu (or Debian)
builds. If Ubuntu could provide that this would be very welcome, and
of course it would be something I#d check before I do releases.