[systemd-devel] Vendor default masked service

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut at tezduyar.com
Wed May 27 04:05:23 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 26.05.15 11:53, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog (umut at tezduyar.com) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if we have a way to provide vendor default masked
>> service?
>
> Well, so far our thinking was that if the vendor wants to make a unit
> completely unavailable he should simply not ship it in the first
> place.
>
> What's the usecase for a vendor masking a unit, but installing it? Why
> not remove it in the first place entirely?

If we ship a product without the service, we don't have a way of
installing it again once the product is deployed.

Use case would be: We use one software for a video encoder blade with
multiple CPUs. Every CPU runs the same software. We have a special
service which should only run on the first CPU. A generator installs
the .wants link for the service on first CPU. Another service could
try to talk to the special service over dbus causing it to be dbus
activated (where special service is only allowed to be up on first
CPU). We could install the dbus activation files with generator but it
gets messy to offload this logic to a generator. Also, special service
can be activated by using systemd's dbus interface.

Umut