[systemd-devel] systemctl disable <service> not working as expected

Belal, Awais Awais_Belal at mentor.com
Fri May 29 04:19:57 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am working on an x86_64 platform with a yocto based environment. I was trying to disable pulseaudio which is included in the system by default so I did a 'systemctl disable pulseaudio' but when I reboot it seems pulseaudio is still run for a very short period of time and this is messing up some sound controls on my system. Although SYSVINIT capability is enabled but no sysv init style scripts are available on the target. Any pointers will be really helpful.

root at mytarget:~# systemctl status pulseaudio
● pulseaudio.service
   Loaded: masked (/dev/null)
   Active: inactive (dead)
root at mytarget:~#
root at mytarget:~#
root at mytarget:~# systemctl --version
systemd 216
-PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX +IMA -APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT -LIBCRYPTSETUP -GCRYPT -GNUTLS +ACL +XZ -LZ4 -SECCOMP +BLKID -ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN
root at mytarget:~#
root at mytarget:~# ls /etc/init.d
ls: /etc/init.d: No such file or directory
root at mytarget:~#
root at mytarget:~# dmesg | grep pulse
systemd[1]: Received SIGCHLD from PID 894 (pulseaudio).
systemd[1]: Child 894 (pulseaudio) died (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
systemd[1]: Received SIGCHLD from PID 903 (pulseaudio).
systemd[1]: Child 901 (pulseaudio) died (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
systemd[1]: Child 903 (pulseaudio) died (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
systemd[1]: Received SIGCHLD from PID 895 (pulseaudio).
systemd[1]: Child 895 (pulseaudio) died (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

If I rename the pulseaudio binary and reboot the system my sound controls come up sane.

BR,
Awais