[systemd-devel] network interface renaming via PCI ID w/ systemd-udevd

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 01:00:54 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Matthew Hall <mhall at mhcomputing.net> wrote:

> Let me try and put this another way. I have been using UNIX 24 years. I have
> typed the characters eth0 so long that it's long since been hardcoded into my
> fingers; trying to change it would drive me crazy and serve no beneficial
> purpose besides confusing me when I am trying to get work done. The computer
> is a tool to help me solve problems. It makes more sense to get the computer
> to accomodate the users than the other way around.

In the past 24 years I have been working with over dozen of different
operating systems (and likely the same number of different Linux
distributions). Each of them had different rules for interface naming,
these rules changing from version to version. Even your Linux
distribution has at least dozen different names for network interfaces
(have you never ever seen wlan0?)

So I do not really care a xxxx about what name is used as long as this
name remains persistent from reboot to reboot.

> Dynamically populating the "eth*" namespace with random unexpected network
> interfaces on the fly should honestly be considered a bug not a feature. If
> they are dynamically populated then they can be placed anywhere, so why not
> place them under net0, net1, net2, etc.?

What's wrong with naming *your* interfaces net0, net1 etc then? Why
are so addicted to three letters 'e', 't', 'h'?