[systemd-devel] about administator Authentication agents

Ansgar Burchardt ansgar at 43-1.org
Mon Nov 23 07:13:06 PST 2015

On Mon, 2015-11-23 at 15:09 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > I remember Debian had an oddly restrictive policy for systemd bus
> > access
> > (though it seems to be fixed now?).
>
> The Debian systemd package never diverged from the upstream D-Bus
> policy afair.
>
> *But* in the past, the systemd-shim package shipped it's own set of
> D-Bus policies which broke systemd [1]. This has been fixed for a
> very
> long time though.
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=765101

Even though it has been fixed for a long time, I think users can still
be affected by this: if systemd-shim was removed (but not purged)
before the bug was fixed, the wrong DBus policy would still stay around
as it was included as a conffile...

So if the initial poster uses Debian or a Debian-derived distribution,
it might be worth making sure that systemd-shim was purged, for example
by running "apt-get purge systemd-shim".

Ansgar