[systemd-devel] systemd services via SSH (-H key)

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.id.au
Fri Oct 23 16:20:43 PDT 2015

On 23/10/15 21:04, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> Can a container name be all-numeric?
> We make the same restrictions on container names as on host names. And
> that means all-numeric is OK.

Ahh, so there goes the idea of just using heuristics (i.e. am I looking
at a string of digits only) to determine if it's a port number or a
container name.

>> > Who made the decision to use ':'?  Any particular reason?
> I did.
>
> The ultimate goal is that I wanted a way to reference units in the
> network, by specifying a path to them. I.e. something like:
>
>    foo:bar:baz/apache.service

Makes sense.  So that explains why not another character such as /.  I
suppose # might work as a delimiter for specifying a port number:

e.g.
	foo#portno

I seem to recall seeing that in BIND:
> 24-Oct-2015 00:12:26.494 queries: client 10.255.255.251#59505 (www.bom.gov.au): query: www.bom.gov.au IN AAAA +EDC (10.255.255.1)

You might need to escape the # in some places, but it would at least
allow specification of the port number.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)