[systemd-devel] systemd services via SSH (-H key)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Oct 24 06:04:07 PDT 2015

On Sat, 24.10.15 09:20, Stuart Longland (stuartl at longlandclan.id.au) wrote:

> Makes sense.  So that explains why not another character such as /.  I
> suppose # might work as a delimiter for specifying a port number:
>
> e.g.
> 	foo#portno
>
> I seem to recall seeing that in BIND:
> > 24-Oct-2015 00:12:26.494 queries: client 10.255.255.251#59505 (www.bom.gov.au): query: www.bom.gov.au IN AAAA +EDC (10.255.255.1)
>
> You might need to escape the # in some places, but it would at least
> allow specification of the port number.

Well, I am pretty sure using "#" as separator for that is a really
untypical syntax. I am not sure it's really such a big improvement
supporting such a syntax over simply asking people to put the right
statement in ~/.ssh/config... Note thta the stuff in ~/.ssh/config is
really powerful as you can actually define wildcards and stuff...

Also note that ssh itself expects the port number to be specified via
-p or -P (in case of scp), and does not encode it in the argument name
either. In fact, in scp this becomes very visible where copying
something to "scp foo.txt bar:4711" will create a file 4711 on the
destination, instead of understanding that as port number. Now, if ssh
doesn't know such a syntax we shouldn't invent one either...