[systemd-devel] tmp.mount inactive => /tmp not mounted

Aaron_Wright at selinc.com Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
Fri Sep 11 17:51:20 PDT 2015

I recently switched to using systemd in my initrd, and nearly everything
works fine, expect now the system comes up without /tmp being mounted
correctly. I'm not sure where to start looking. Can anyone nudge me in the
right direction?

The tmp.mount unit seems to be inactive. It didn't do that before I
started using systemd in initrd.

~ # systemctl status tmp.mount
● tmp.mount - Temporary Directory
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/tmp.mount; static; vendor
preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Sat 2015-09-12 00:28:11 UTC; 33s ago
    Where: /tmp
     What: tmpfs
     Docs: man:hier(7)
           http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/APIFileSystems

The local-fs.target unit is active and happy.

~ # systemctl status local-fs.target
● local-fs.target - Local File Systems
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/local-fs.target; static; vendor
preset: enabled)
   Active: active since Sat 2015-09-12 00:28:12 UTC; 1min 24s ago
     Docs: man:systemd.special(7)

But its dependencies list tmp.mount as not active.

~ # systemctl list-dependencies local-fs.target
local-fs.target
● ├─-.mount
● ├─systemd-remount-fs.service
● ├─tmp.mount
● └─var.mount

The list of mounts show that tmpfs is mounted on /tmp, but it isn't
really. I assume this is a /tmp in initrd that is masked by switching the
root to /sysroot (similar to the rootfs on the first line), because it is
read-only like the root file system (can't make any files in it), and when
I manually start tmp.mount that problem is fixed.

~ # cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,nosuid,size=954032k,nr_inodes=238508,mode=755 0
0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755 0 0
tmpfs /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd cgroup
rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd
0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/disk/by-partlabel/rootfs / ext4 ro,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/disk/by-partlabel/varfs /var ext4
rw,relatime,discard,nodelalloc,data=journal 0 0

/etc/fstab is pretty tame. Not sure if it would be causing an issue or
not.

~ # cat /etc/fstab
PARTLABEL=rootfs / ext4 ro 0 1
PARTLABEL=varfs /var ext4 rw,data=journal,discard 0 2

Some journal output for reference. The root file system is read-only, so
the errors with chmod are expected. These errors don't occur when /tmp is
mounted properly.

systemd[1]: systemd 219 running in system mode. (-PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA
-APPARMOR -SMACK -SYSVINIT -UTMP -LIBCRYPTSETUP -GCRYPT -GNUTLS -ACL -XZ
-LZ4 -SECCOMP +BLKID -ELFUTILS -KMOD -IDN)
systemd[1]: Started Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
systemd[1]: Reached target Local File Systems (Pre).
systemd[1]: Starting Local File Systems (Pre).
systemd[1]: Found device SILICONSYSTEMS_INC_8GB varfs.
systemd[1]: Mounting /var...
systemd[1]: Mounted /var.
systemd[1]: Starting Flush Journal to Persistent Storage...
systemd[1]: Started Flush Journal to Persistent Storage.
systemd[1]: Reached target Local File Systems.
systemd[1]: Starting Local File Systems.
systemd[1]: Starting Create Volatile Files and Directories...
systemd-tmpfiles[161]: chmod(/tmp) failed: Read-only file system
systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service: main process exited,
code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: Failed to start Create Volatile Files and Directories.
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service failed.
systemd[1]: Reached target System Initialization.