[systemd-devel] RFC: removing initctl support

Mike Gilbert floppym at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 22 15:59:02 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 8:31 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> Heya!
>
> Since a long time systemd has been shipping with two-way compat
> support for /dev/initctl, and I am tempted to remove it. Before I do
> so, I'd like some input on the relevance of this interface:

Gentoo currently utilizes this interface by default; our sysvinit
package is installed by default to support OpenRC, and provides the
reboot/poweroff commands.

We do optionally support replacing those commands with symlinks to
systemctl, but there are a few blockers which prevent us from enabling
that configuration by default. We are working on resolving that, but
it may be another year or so at the rate it is currently going.

I would appreciate it if you kept this around for a while longer.