[systemd-devel] RFC: removing initctl support

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:21:52 PDT 2015

What we could add is a --disable switch which makes
units/systemd-initctl.{socket,service} and src/initctl/ conditional so
distros that don't need it anymore can disable it (or make it disabled
by default and let distros which need it enable it).

Would that work for you, Lennart?

>> On Wed, 23.09.15 00:38, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> yes, in Debian we'll need /dev/initctl support for at least another
>>> release cycle so users can switch between the init system and safely
>>> reboot (in both directions).
>>
>> How does Debian switch between the init systems? Couldn't you just use
>> the right client for the right init system?
>
> Well, you can't replace the running sysvinit instance with systemd
> (and vice versa).
> That's why we need the sysvinit tools to talk to systemd via
> /dev/initctl and the systemd tools to talk to sysvinit.

universe are pointed away from Earth?