[systemd-devel] Slides for November USENIX/LISA tutorial on "systemd, the Next-Generation Linux System Manager"

Chaiken, Alison alison at she-devel.com
Mon Sep 28 10:47:43 PDT 2015

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> I don't understand one part: why do you say that creating a new target
> requires writing C++ code?

Certainly new targets don't require C++ code, as systemd is written in
C!   But I was trying to say that new targets with naively expected
synchronization behavior require new code.  twb and ohsix also queried
me on this point in IRC. By 'expected synchronization behavior,' I mean
that the initialization will pause until all the 'Wants'-ed services
stabilize, perhaps indicating completion by reaching passive targets.
If it is in fact possible to write a new .target unit that will serve as
a new user-defined runlevel without writing C code, then my statement is
wrong.   Please someone say so, before I tell others wrong information!

> Also, drop-ins are not "run-time extensions", at least in the systemd
> parlance, becuase they can appear both in /run (i.e. be runtime), and
> /etc (i.e. be static).

Good point.   I will improve that.

Thanks Zbigniew, ohsix and twb for all your helpful comments.   I will
incorporate them when I have a chance.

-- Alison

---
Alison Chaiken                      alison at she-devel.com, 650-279-5600
http://{ she-devel.com, exerciseforthereader.org }
"There is expressive potential in not being together." -- Mark Volkert,
Assistant Concertmaster, San Francisco Symphony