[systemd-devel] Slides for November USENIX/LISA tutorial on "systemd, the Next-Generation Linux System Manager"

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Mon Sep 28 11:56:35 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:47:43AM -0700, Chaiken, Alison wrote:
> Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >I don't understand one part: why do you say that creating a new target
> >requires writing C++ code?
>
> If it is in fact possible to write a
> new .target unit that will serve as a new user-defined runlevel
> without writing C code, then my statement is wrong.   Please someone
> say so, before I tell others wrong information!
Yeah, it is definitely possible to create a new *target*...
Simply create a new .target dir, put some symlinks there, and then
possibly modify some units to be After= the new target.

OTOH, with *run-levels*, the situation is more complicated, because
run-levels are nowadays hardcoded to correspond to specific targets,
so indeed adding a new run-level would probably require modifications
to the source. But your slide said "targets".

> >Also, drop-ins are not "run-time extensions", at least in the systemd
> >parlance, becuase they can appear both in /run (i.e. be runtime), and
> >/etc (i.e. be static).
>
> Good point.   I will improve that.
>
> Thanks Zbigniew, ohsix and twb for all your helpful comments.   I
> will incorporate them when I have a chance.

Zbyszek