[systemd-devel] systemd efi boot and default entry

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 15:42:12 UTC 2016

On 04/01/2016 03:15 PM, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That makes no sense that an boot is not market completed until it manage to
>> contact it's update servers but inline with other hacks coreOS is doing in
>> relation with systemd.
> I sense a lot of negativity here:-)
>
> A server needs to provide some set of functionality. Only once that
> functionality is available the server has booted successfully.

So if your server has the role of an web server and the web service
fails to run or is not run ( for example you forgot to enable it, or you
misconfigured it before rebooting ) or that phone home service failed
since it could not contact it's home server due to wide variety of
possible network related issue or was booted into a different boot
target or due to simple type unit (mis)ordering that would constitute as
the operating system failing to boot?

I dont follow that logic and with my administrator hat on would never
want to have my servers rely or depend on such boot completion logic sorry.

JBG