[systemd-devel] on the default for PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 10 14:57:13 UTC 2016

Andrei Borzenkov [2016-04-10 11:31 +0300]:
> It had been working out of the box for quite a lot of users actually.

Because we had a mechanism for stable (but not predictable) interfaces
names, the 75-persistent-net-generator.rules thingy. Without either,
the first time you plugged in a second card/USB dongle/add an ibmveth
etc., chaos would start.

> Again - configuring location based naming was pretty easy in the past.

Again -- nothing changed wrt. manually configuring interface names if
you desire so.

> You need to explain why your new naming scheme is better than that.

See "Why" on
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

Also, it's not "my" schema, but I do think it's a fairly good
compromise between all the bad options how to do interface naming.

Martin