[systemd-devel] on the default for PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Apr 10 15:44:01 UTC 2016

Am 10.04.2016 um 16:57 schrieb Martin Pitt:
> Andrei Borzenkov [2016-04-10 11:31 +0300]:
>> It had been working out of the box for quite a lot of users actually.
>
> Because we had a mechanism for stable (but not predictable) interfaces
> names, the 75-persistent-net-generator.rules thingy. Without either,
> the first time you plugged in a second card/USB dongle/add an ibmveth
> etc., chaos would start.

that worked perfectly and chaos only started as it's funtionality went
away while people knew how to use it

nothing easier to handel than a single textfile with all mac/name
mappings where any new interface appears on bottom and you can also
leave the older entries for not present in case of removeable hardware