[systemd-devel] on the default for PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 11 08:40:32 UTC 2016

Reindl Harald [2016-04-10 17:44 +0200]:
> >Because we had a mechanism for stable (but not predictable) interfaces
> >names, the 75-persistent-net-generator.rules thingy. Without either,
> >the first time you plugged in a second card/USB dongle/add an ibmveth
> >etc., chaos would start.
>
> that worked perfectly

Hahahahno. :/

It had an inherent race condition of renaming devices to the same
namespace than the kernel uses (thus creating collisions), and did not
work at all in virtualized environments (see the long and ever-growing
MAC blacklist).

Apart from that it had several design problems: it was not predictable
(names changed across reinstalls), prevented the ability of creating
one OS image and installing it on many pieces of hardware (as the MAC
addresses are device specific) and needed constant writability of
/etc.

Martin