[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Apr 12 09:24:01 UTC 2016

Am 12.04.2016 um 04:26 schrieb Xen:
> Greg KH schreef op 12-04-16 00:14
>> How you determine if a device is "onboard" or "offboard"?  Are you going
>> to know when all "onboard" devices are found before you do anything
>> else?  How?
>
> I don't know, do you know? I am just a nitwit right.
>
> The distinction I made was between USB and non-USB.
>
> If you map the thing onto two separate lists, problem solved.
>
> Regular hardware should not suddenly appear out of nowhere, but I do not
> know about that Thunderbolt thing you mentioned

that is nonsense

* USB hardware is often *onboard* like SD-card slots on ProLiant
   machines down to the HP microserver
* touchpad is typically a internal USB device
* hotplug exists for SATA, SAS and many other interfaces

"that Thunderbolt thing you mentioned"? please do your homework
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_%28interface%29

not that i am a big fan of the "predictable" names but you appear
talking about things you have not much clue