[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Tue Apr 12 18:37:27 UTC 2016

Reindl Harald schreef op 12-04-16 11:24:

>> Regular hardware should not suddenly appear out of nowhere, but I do not
>> know about that Thunderbolt thing you mentioned
>
> that is nonsense
>
> * USB hardware is often *onboard* like SD-card slots on ProLiant
>   machines down to the HP microserver
> * touchpad is typically a internal USB device
> * hotplug exists for SATA, SAS and many other interfaces
>
> "that Thunderbolt thing you mentioned"? please do your homework
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_%28interface%29
>
> not that i am a big fan of the "predictable" names but you appear
> talking about things you have not much clue

Then do it yourself.

If you know more about it. Someone has to take up the ball, right?

Why should some average user like me know everything about a system they
are designing just to say a few things on the topic of how utterly
insane the current solution is?

Thunderbolt is a largely irrelevant technology from what it seems.

Recent years have seen a proliferation of new technologies but most
people don't even use them:

* DisplayPort, the vast majority of computer users may not ever have
used it.

* USB 3.0, I have two cases that have a front USB 3.0 port, while having
motherboards that do not support them (I'm using eSATA, it is enough for
me) - and another motherboard with 3.0 at the back but no support for a
connector (I mean onboard).

When I look back at my parents, they have not even used a computer. I
grew up with the technology of the 80s / 90s. Now people are going crazy
about 4k displays. My mother uses less than a 37" display. I actually
mean 37cm. For a television, yes that small.

There are people in the world that cannot afford food, but we are
selling 4k displays that no one needs, and technology that goes with it
to support that data that, in the end, therefore, no one needs either.

Huge data, sure, it can use the technology, and maybe that is your
clientele. But that also makes it clear that this is not about regular
users, but probably only about server parks.

So Thunderbolt can connect PCIe prior to booting, causing it to obtain a
number on the PCI bus? See, I don't know the exact functioning of the
technology from reading that Wikipedia page (and I did, thank you).

If it does obtain a number on the PCI bus, it means disconnecting it
might do what? Have these people been honest about what actually happens?

For the most part, the more I learn the more I am astounded as to how
bad this technology is.

Well my apologies for not being as brilliant as I could be. I have been
a loser in life lately.

I would like to apologize to the entire human race ;-). I have let you
down :p ;-). For real.

In a certain sense yes You could say I have.

Or myself, or you, doesn't matter. Anyway.

The number of Thunderbolt devices is abysmally small and it is only
going to be a success relatively speaking due to USB-C, which is also
the reason USB 3 is going to be more of a sane thing in the end.

I do not even need Full HD in my home. I still watch DVDs and many
people don't have BluRay. I am happy with 720p, it is more than what I
need actually for the stuff I do.

If there is no provision to put Thunderbolt devices behind "regular"
PCIe, and there probably won't be, what is going to happen to the
biosdev naming scheme if such a device is removed? Did people think
about that? Do bus numbers stay the same? What then, what else?

Well my apologies for not having in-depth knowledge about these issues.

But I was led to believe biosdev led to stability and I based my
arguments on that, but it is not even stable in my own system.

We were talking specifically about networking here.

I do not know how many hotpluggable devices there are apart from USB,
I'm sorry.

It appears the standard provisions for "BCMA", "CCW" and a few other
things including "hotplug slot index number".

The USB hardware you mention is not going to appear out of nowhere.

Stay focussed here.

SATA and SAS are not networking technologies.

Thunderbolt can sponsor ethernet in its connection
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Thunderbolt_Display) -- I do not
know how that works, how should I know.

What happens when you plug this device in and out, even with biosdev? I
don't know.

The way it goes, I would not be surprised if it renumbers all your PCI
numbers.

In that case PCI index numbers are not a good provision, at least not if
they are used in device names. How on earth should I be able to find out
just like that.

Again, if this was the case, you'd be better off keeping some scheme
that identifies that device or that technology.

Don't hold me responsible for the mess you (or other people) have created.

And give our own solution if you want.

Bye.