[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Tue Apr 12 12:42:35 UTC 2016

Reindl Harald schreef op 12-04-16 14:02:

> Am 12.04.2016 um 14:00 schrieb Xen:
>> Martin Pitt schreef op 12-04-16 12:57:
>>> Xen [2016-04-12  3:37 +0200]:

>>> It does (at least on Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora), but you need to
>>> rebuild your initrd after doing this.
>>
>> Alright, thanks. That isn't listed on the website. Sorry
>
> the right way in doubt is to boot with following kernel params which i
> mentioned for sure in that thread and so don't get why "how to disable"
> ist still a topic (yes, they disable both of the 'predictable' pieces)
>
> net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0

You don't have to be so nasty you know. There is no right way to do
anything. I prefer not to touch my kernel (boot) configuration for
whatever reason I might have for that. I'm not sure what happens if I
could not depend on the current "grub" installation. Or what happens if
I need to boot from some other place. I prefer for the system to be
stable regardless of the boot loader. For instance, you can imagine
(re)booting into the current system using kexec. I know I am making an
ass of myself. But that is stuff I do. Or could want to do if it
actually worked for me.

Dependency on a boot loader that is in itself one of the most unreliable
pieces of software I have ever come across, is not really my favourite
thing I must say. I'm sorry if that sounds off.

I just wanted an on-disk configuration that is based on the system and
not on the bootloader, and it was possible before, and I didn't realize
why it was not possible now.

Editing /etc/default/grub is not really, you know.

On one occasion I have had a system where I could not use update-grub
because it didn't work, and I maintained a custom grub.cfg. Easy enough
to edit that as well, but Grub is not my piece of cake.

I'm sorry if that makes me sound like some idiot loser. I try to reduce
dependencies in my systems on stuff I find to be unreliable.

So if I can do this using some on-disk configuration file (or even a
symlink) that's better for me. Yes and I KNOW /etc/default/grub is also
on-disk. Don't mince words here, I mean, a regular config file.

That ideally gets used immediately, but whatever.

I just want to thank Martin Pitt for not being an ass about it (that I
might be myself, I don't know).