[systemd-devel] Call for a small extension - Passing the startup timeout to the processes as environment variable

Hoyer, Marko (ADITG/SW2) mhoyer at de.adit-jv.com
Wed Apr 13 15:12:47 UTC 2016

Hi Hi,

I'm interested in a small extension around systemd passing a set of environment variables to processes executed (mainly what is happening in: build_environment(); execute.c)

What are we planning to do:

-          We are planning to have some functionality linked against applications started by systemd (in a shared library or so)

-          The purpose of the shared library is to debug out some information about the applications state and about the process in general in case

o   The watchdog is not served right in time

o   The READY=1 sd_notify signal is not sent right in time

-          The information must be dumped out before systemd kills the applications

To the realization:

-          The involved sd_notify calls are not directly called by the application, the application uses an abstraction provided by the shared library. The library delegates further respective calls.

o   So we are able to detect when an application serves the watchdog or sends the READY=1 signal

-          We need now a way to detect at about 90% of the elapsed timeout that the application is not reacting

-          For this, we need to know the watchdog timeout and the startup timeout set in the service file

o   The first one is passed as ENVIRONMENT variable by systemd to the processes

o   The second one is not

To the request:

-          Would it be possible to add some code lines to pass the startup timeout time as well as ENVIRONMENT variable?

Would be cool.

Thx in advance!

Best regards

Marko Hoyer