[systemd-devel] on the default for, PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu Apr 14 01:56:19 UTC 2016

Sam Tresler schreef op 13-04-16 18:51:
>>Ifconfig does not show anything useful. lspci might provide something I
> can use to construct it, but I'm >not sure. "dmesg | grep enp3s0"
> confirms this, but I still need to manually construct the entire string.
>
> I didn't make it through the rest of your post, but thought I'd chime in
> with `ifconfig` has been deprecated since 2009.
>
> 2009. I don't get deep into the distros, but I really wish they'd stop
> shipping it.
>
> `man ip` should give you info on the right tool you need to retrieve
> your network info. From there it is just some pipework to get a list you
> can iterate over.
>
> $ ip -o a | awk '{print $2}' | uniq

You are telling me that a tool that gives a lot of useful information in
a command without parameters should be superseded by a tool meant for
lowlevel work that needs a parameter to do anything, because why?

Do you want to make life harder for everyone or something.

This feels very much like the cannabilizing that the Gnome people are doing.

You have something good that works amazingly as a user tool and you want
to replace it by a tool and a command that gives much less (even though
it can do more).

It's the same with "route" and "ip route". I often (and only) use "ip
route" because it does not resolve addresses and hence it is faster, but
it clear route is more of a user oriented tool.

Deprecated, give me a break please.

You wish people would stop shipping a tool that everyone likes. Reminds
me of something......

:-/.