[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Apr 15 15:42:38 UTC 2016

Greg KH schreef op 13-04-16 05:04:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 02:42:29AM +0200, Xen wrote:
>> When you say that probing on the PCI bus never ends, and if we are
>> talking not about some form of hotplugging, then I really wonder what
>> you're on about ;-) because I do think the kernel has a limited set of
>> probes that it can perform, and at some point it is going to quit.
>
> Not if it is interrupt driven, the kernel only responds to devices when
> they show up, it doesn't know how many devices are going to be ever
> found.
>
>> It seems clear that some things are only going to be done once.
>
> "once"?
>
>> So I am not sure what you are alluding to. If there is some theoretical
>> tail (and it has not to do with hotplugging) I'm not sure if it is ever
>> going to be relevant here. If there is a theoretical tail, the system
>> cannot wait for it anyway.
>
> The issue is that you need to create a system that allows devices to
> show up whenever they decide to show up, you can't "wait around" for
> anything as you never know just how long, or what will, or will not,
> show up.
>
> You have to design a system that is event driven, as that is how
> hardware works, and is the only way your system can work properly due to
> it possibly changing all the time (devices added / removed between
> boots, etc.)

You are lying to me and trying to lead me in the woods.

The stuff you say is stuff people say that in the end don't end up being
true. It does not even agree with the reality of how the system works
currently.

They are nonsense rebuttals and anyone with enough knowledge would be
able to refute them. You're playing mind games here.

Any system needing to take into account that some urgently needed
networking device might shop up after 3 days when the moon is in the
right position in the sky.... this is what you are saying.

It doesn't agree with reality and I am not going to respond to this
nonsense.