[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Apr 15 15:59:37 UTC 2016

Am 15.04.2016 um 17:54 schrieb Xen:
> Reindl Harald schreef op 13-04-16 10:26:
>>> What are you on about?
>>>
>>> Just because I don't have a superfast system, I cannot say anything?
>>
>> no beause of "hmm let wait 3 seconds for something we don't know if it
>> ever appears and how long it would take to appear" is unacceptable in
>> general as additional boot time and on many setups would double the
>> whole boot time
>>
>> nobody right in his mind would implement a "sleep 3" for a general
>> purpose setup in the boot process
>>
>> *kernel time* is below 1 second on most machines
>
> Do you realize how utterly ridiculous you sound? Even if what you say is
> true, it would double the boot time of a 5 second boot to 10 seconds.

which is unacceptable, not a solution and can even not be called a
workaround

> I'm sure your life is now at stake.
>
> I'm sure all your vital services are now failing. Call life support.
> This guy is in trouble.

yes, when i have to decide to reboot 30 machines and find a timewindow
for the task it makes a large difference if it takes just 4 seconds
where nobody out there could provie that it was my server or his
internet connection

> Yes I'm making a mockery of your state of life here. Being concerned
> about 4 fucking seconds when each time reliably your system has all
> devices present in any case.

if only 3 people with your attitude would have anything to say we would
be back at boot times from 10 years ago

> That means "IN ANY CASE". That means: ALL THE TIME.
>
> Systems do not wait 3 fucking hours for a networking device to show up okay.

you where the one who started with "wait for something"