[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Apr 15 15:54:52 UTC 2016

Reindl Harald schreef op 13-04-16 10:26:

> Am 13.04.2016 um 03:08 schrieb Xen:
>> Reindl Harald schreef op 13-04-16 02:06:

>>> STOP IT NOW
>>
>> What are you on about?
>>
>> Just because I don't have a superfast system, I cannot say anything?
>
> no beause of "hmm let wait 3 seconds for something we don't know if it
> ever appears and how long it would take to appear" is unacceptable in
> general as additional boot time and on many setups would double the
> whole boot time
>
> nobody right in his mind would implement a "sleep 3" for a general
> purpose setup in the boot process
>
> *kernel time* is below 1 second on most machines

Do you realize how utterly ridiculous you sound? Even if what you say is
true, it would double the boot time of a 5 second boot to 10 seconds.

I'm sure your life is now at stake.

I'm sure all your vital services are now failing. Call life support.
This guy is in trouble.

Yes I'm making a mockery of your state of life here. Being concerned
about 4 fucking seconds when each time reliably your system has all
devices present in any case.

That means "IN ANY CASE". That means: ALL THE TIME.

Systems do not wait 3 fucking hours for a networking device to show up okay.

And systems that condense boot times to 4 seconds do not either, because
they could not reliably do so if this was true, this theoretical
hypothetical thing you are so consistently alluding to just to have a
stick to throw at me.

If your system boots in 4 seconds then your networking device is going
to be there.

And it is also going to be there prior to starting networking.

Christ, letting me be drawn into a debate where people can lie to me
because I am not intimiate with certain details of the boot process.

I invite you to produce a real dmesg in which your networking device is
not detected / kernel loaded prior to having a login prompt or something
of the kind. I honestly invite you to back up your false statements in
this way, and if not, just let me be for a change and like that other
person said: fume elsewhere. But it appears you are doing enough of that
already.