[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Apr 16 12:20:50 UTC 2016

Reindl Harald schreef op 16-04-16 12:07:

> Am 16.04.2016 um 06:46 schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:

>>> just use network.service aka /etc/init.d/network, enter the MAC and you
>>> are done - so what is the problem you can't solve for hundret network
>>> devices
>>
>> Motherboard dies and is replaced. All your interface names disappear
>
> and the same happens when you change the server in most cases with all
> that "predictable" stuff because it's proven to be not that predictable
> when changing hardware and you are not married with a specific vendor
>
> the old world was at least able to give you a predictable "eth0" on a
> new machine after the initial setup
>
>> This makes rather challenging affair requiring relatively high
>> administration skills out of mundane technical task
>
> high administration skills?
>
> just connect to ILO while have a trained monkey on the phone who tells
> you which of the labeled cables he put in at the moment - sorry but
> besides that this happens very rarely at all but if you can't cope with
> it you lack the skills for beeing a sysadmin at all

So I deleted your email that belonged to this piece and then tried to
find what you wrote about myself. But the beginning of it is of course
that Debian/Ubuntu doesn't have "sysconfig" directory. I know OpenSUSE
does, but Debian doesn't.

So at that point, I am immediately stuck. This was in large part about
people who are NOT expert administrators, remember?

There is no /etc/init.d/network, but there is networking, and
/etc/default/networking, but no hint of anything.

I check
/etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants/networking.service and
there is no hint for anything either.

I wanted, for an ordinary user, to generate a mapping, but now you're
talking about having the skills to be a network or system administrator.

I try to search for it but don't find anything. So I go now to ask in
#debian.

Of course we're back at the "man systemd.link" that we started with.

Which requires MAC addresses or volatile PCI bus addresses.

He also says: "renaming via udev rules (NAME="") also works, as long as
it's done before 80-*.rules". But I'd have to dive into that before I
know how to do that (it's not like it's obvious or anything).

In this situation, if I have to use something that obtuse to get the
configuration I want, I would rather just turn the whole thing off.

I don't want to use configuration files I can only know about and learn
how to write by reading man pages I don't know how to find unless I am
asking around.

There is no "best of both worlds" here. You cannot turn the systemd
thing on AND have an easy time.

> DEVICE=lan-guest
> HWADDR=ac:16:2d:a1:74:ec
> TYPE=Ethernet
> BOOTPROTO=static
> ONBOOT=yes
> ARPCHECK=no
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no

This creates a systemd mapping file? How does that work?

You imply that systemd/udev is going to use this to rename?

So the reality is still and remains to this day:

A regular non-hardcore user is not going to have any kind of agreeable
system because doing so requires doing stuff that is just too hard to do
with too little benefits to worry about it, OR

That person is just going to turn the whole thing off if she knows about it.

I would *never* recommend anyone to dive into this configuration and do
it by hand the way it is.

If it was a single configuration file in /etc/network, perhaps I would.
But depending on MAC addresses is not pleasant and requires a level of
knowledge an ordinary user should not need to have. PCI path is even
worse. Using the currently available name (ie. enp3s0) would be agreeable.

If you can give me a system where I can enter enp3s0 and turn it into
eth0 or ethernet0, I'm okay with that.

However it is not a stable thing because these addresses change
depending on what hardware I take out.

So for me if you'd say "use first available ethernet device as eth0 and
first available wlan device as wlan0" I'd be.... yes please, but at that
point there is no benefit to the systemd thing.

So this magic default system,: where is the benefit?

There is still no benefit to it. There is just no benefit to it.

It HAS no benefit for people with one ethernet NIC and one wlan NIC.

It just doesn't. It is a detriment.

At the very least you could ensure that you needed to do nothing special
to have a system like you had before.

At the very least you could condense these network name and then people
wouldn't bother. Then you'd have a system with improved names over
eth0/wlan0.

Then people would actually like you for doing that, a bit.

Now?

"All I wanna say is that, they don't really care about us."

Oh and:

"so what is the problem you can't solve for hundret network devices in
the time you wrote a lot of mails?"

You do know the difference between development (solving problems for a
lot of people) and configuration (solving problems only for yourself and
those very close to you) right?

I'm sure you do, or I'll have to throw a bucket of cold water in your
face and point to the name of this mailing list.