[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Apr 16 12:27:33 UTC 2016

Am 16.04.2016 um 14:20 schrieb Xen:
> So I deleted your email that belonged to this piece and then tried to
> find what you wrote about myself. But the beginning of it is of course
> that Debian/Ubuntu doesn't have "sysconfig" directory. I know OpenSUSE
> does, but Debian doesn't.

that is all completly *off topic* here

> So at that point, I am immediately stuck. This was in large part about
> people who are NOT expert administrators, remember?

they don't care about how their interfaces are named

> There is no /etc/init.d/network, but there is networking, and
> /etc/default/networking, but no hint of anything.
>
> I check
> /etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants/networking.service and
> there is no hint for anything either.
>
> I wanted, for an ordinary user, to generate a mapping, but now you're
> talking about having the skills to be a network or system administrator

the ordinary user is not affected at all by the whole topic just because
the only thing he cares is that he has a network connection, what piece
of software made it, how interfaces are named and even what a interface
is don't bother the ordinary user

how you configure network on your distribution is really up to you

Google "debian configure network ifcfg files"

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-configure-a-static-ip-address-tutorial/
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting-up-an-network-interfaces-file/

Google "debian rename network interfaces by MAC"
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/28878/changing-the-names-of-network-interfaces-debian-wheezy

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-configure-a-static-ip-address-tutorial/