[systemd-devel] Systemd Questions

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Aug 14 16:54:45 UTC 2016

Am 14.08.2016 um 15:20 schrieb Tom Browder:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> to be honest: did you read *any* documentation or anything about systemd
>> before your post besides "it exists"?
>
> Yes I did, a tutorial and man systemd. Have you ever looked at the man
> page from the view point of a newbie?

surely, in 2011 as i had to convert the whole infrastructure to systemd
with Fedora 15 or so i was a newbie too, finally there where way more
native systemd-units in /et/systemd/system/ than Fedora itself shipped
for years

> There are no examples.  There
> is no clear explanation of COMMAND from a user stand point (command
> line operation), etc.  To be fair, I find most man pages are lacking
> in real example of usage.

surely "man systemctl" - well, you need to know that command but it's a
liltle bit unfair to criticize that because the knowledge how to
start/stop services with sysvinit did also not fall from heacen

> And the fact that Debian magically uses systemd even with an init.d
> service file is misleading until you look closely at the script.

thats the compatibility layer of systemd where a generator creates a
on-the-fly unit at boot - that prevents you from dealing with 2
different ways of stop/start services where you would need to look which
type it is

> I did go to the systemd home page and got a bit farther, but it still
> looks like a painful dig from here (I need a "Systemd for Dummies!")

if you would have spent 10 seconds you have found dozens
https://www.google.com/search?q=systemd+for+newbies

https://www.linux.com/learn/managing-services-linux-systemd
http://www.catchlinux.com/what-is-systemd-for-noobs/